Thursday, April 30, 2009

How old do you have to be to check out a room in a hotel or motel?

My boyfriend and I are very close. But, he is going to college about 3 1/2 hours away. I guess it's not that bad of a drive but either way he's not going to have a car there and I don't have a car myself, other than my parents van I drive around. I know, lame. But anyway, I am 17 and won't be 18 until next May. He is 18 and will be 19 in the middle of September. I was on hotels.com and it considered 18 being a child so I wasn't sure if that meant that an 18 year old wouldn't be able to check out a room or not. I'm sure this is a very "blonde" question, but I really want to be able to know weather or not I'll be able to visit him. But then again his birthday is only a 2 weeks into the month so either way I can get a room, right?

...and just for the record I would check in as one person. Cheaper that way.


18 is usually the age requirement, but som places may require you to be 19. Just check around, and if all else fails have one of your boyfriend's older college buddies rent it for you guys.

The others have answered your age-related question, but I would like to add this:

If there will be two people in the room and you check in as one person using the room, you are committing a crime called "defrauding an innkeeper." I don't recommend lying, even if telling the truth costs you a little more. By the way, some motels/hotels rent by the room based on double occupancy, which means two people costs the same as one, so check around and find one that fits your budget.

Also, many colleges allow over-night guests in the dorms, so you may not need a hotel at all. If you want to stay together, he can work that out with his roommate. If you do not want to stay together, there may be a girl in the dorm who will let you sleep in her room.

BTW, I don't know what the legal age is, but if you are planning on staying together, be sure that your age doesn't make him a statutory rapist in the state you will be staying in. I wouldn't want the hotel to call the cops because you defrauded them on the room price/no. of occupants and then have the cops say, oh, by the way, she's under 18 so HE goes to jail.

well to get a hotel/motel you have to be 18, but most hotel/motel prefer there occupants to be 21 or older. but I have rented hotels at 18.so good luck.

You might find a hotel that only requires you to be 18 but I know a lot of hotels want at least one person checking into the room to be 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment