Monday, April 27, 2009

Does anybody know if roys motel and cafe on route 66 is open, or where i can find info on its restoration.?

Are you talking about Roy’s in Amboy CA? Awesome place to see, it has been on the route forever. For the most part the town is a ghost town and Roy’s was not open and had been closed for sometime the last time I was there. The building was in pretty good condition and the sign was still there marking the route. However I do believe that it was suppose to reopen this year, at least the café part of it. Check out this site it has some information (also good for other things on the route too!):

http://www.rt66roys.com/

This has some great pictures of the building and the classic Roy’s Sign also has other 66 pictures from Amboy.

http://www.rt66roys.com/pictures/

This link has some history on Roy’s and the town:

http://www.rt66roys.com/history/

I would also check out the Route 66 Pulse it is an online newspaper that is awesome. It has tons of Route 66 information and current events. You can even email them and they will assist you in getting information that you need. I have done this and they are super great!

http://www.route66pulse.com/

Here are some more sites with information on Roy’s:

http://thelope.com/2006/01/amboy-california.html

http://usa.cagora.com/node/109495

http://amboyca.com/

http://www.roadsidepeek.com/news/index05-2.htm

http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/North_America/United_States/California/Localities/A/Amboy/

http://www.topix.com/city/amboy-ca/2008/04/historic-gas-station-reopens

http://travel.howstuffworks.com/13-vintage-businesses-on-historic-route-662.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy's_Motel_and_Café

Hope this helps you, it really is a cool place to see on the route, you are in the middle of nowhere and then suddenly small town Amboy is there. There are all kinds of places like this on the route. I am glad to hear that it might be reopening places like this should at least be preserved.


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AnouPaW32GvhhIqcy9aWB7vsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080506191713AAS6Mv7

No comments:

Post a Comment