Friday, May 1, 2009

Are you supposed to leave a tip for maid service at your average hotel/motel?

We don't stay at many high-end hotels (and I don't know if that even makes a difference), but are you supposed to leave a tip for the maid service? If so, how much? We generally stay at holiday inns, comfort inns, etc. We don't ask for any special requests or services, and don't even see the maids (most of the time). Are they paid a regular wage, or are they expected to have tips as part of their wage (like waitresses)?


Well if you stay there for more than one night, then you should definitely leave a tip. My family never had much money, so my parents never tipped. I never knew i was suppose to tip them until i was older and staying at a hotel and my brother was like "Yeah, Matt you need to tip them. Mom and Dad were just being cheap all those years." So i always leave about 3-7 dollars on the table or counter or bed. I dont thikn you have to do it, but its just courteous since they ARE cleaning up after your mess.

If you have ever worked as a housekeeper the work is hard work. Alot of people say oh i clean at home so i can do this. But it is more then that cleaning a house. I did housekeeping for 4 months then got put on the front desk and am still here 7 years later. When i stay at a hotel i always leave at least $3.00 i also strip the beds and gather all the trash and make sure everything is the way it was when i arrived.

Yes, you should leave a tip. Saying you don't have much money is b.s. because if you can afford to stay at a decent hotel, you can afford to tip at least something. People who do not are just rude.

If they did a good job then yes. I usually leave either one or two bucks per day. Most of your high end hotels will include a slip or even a tip envelope with the maids name and a comment card.

not that i know of honey...as much as youre paying to stay there. You should keep your extra money.

Maids are paid at least minimum wage. They do not have to depend on tips like a waitress does. I don't tip. I don't ask for service during my time at a hotel, and I figure they are paid to clean up after me when I leave anyway. (I don't leave a mess.) I worked at a hotel, and I still don't tip.

If you do choose to tip, find out from the front desk who cleaned the room the day you are tipping for, and leave their tip with the front desk in an envelope with their name on it, or track them down if you have time. People don't understand that Person A, a perfect neat freak maid, may clean the room earlier that day when someone else checked out and you checked in, but when you leave a tip, Person B, the messy pig who has the supervisor yelling at her all the time, is cleaning the room after you move out and will more often than not pocket the tip you intended for Person A. On the flip side, if your room is disgusting when you move in, let the staff know so they know who talk to and, if necessary, move you.

No comments:

Post a Comment